The aim of the announcer is to create a residential complex of approximately 1,200-1,300 dwellings with variable commercial spaces in the parterre in the streets of Olšanská and Jan Želivský and further, according to the concluded contract with Prague 3, the establishment of kindergarten, which subsequently the investor free of charge transfers into the ownership of the city district.
The announcer emphasizes the creation of a valuable public space with greenery next to the intersection of the Olšanská and Jan Želivský streets and park green in the street of Jan Želivský and on the south side of the site (towards the cemetery).
“In this exposed area, it is definitely worth creating something architecturally interesting, but at the same time the new apartments here must be affordable and practical.
The no longer functioning telecommunication tower in this place was the tallest building in the Czechoslovakia at the time of its creation. In my opinion, this predestines the locality for a set of uniquely designed high-rise buildings that could become a new natural centre of this perspective part of Prague.”
founder and chairman of the board, CENTRAL GROUP
CENTRAL GROUP company announced OPEN CALL for participation in a workshop for the residence complex NEW ŽIŽKOV CENTRE. 98 teams from all over the world took part in the open call. The jury selected for the second stage – design stage – 12 participants:
A I – D E S I G N + ARUP / CZ + UK
ABM architekti / CZ
CMC + MIAS + OCA / CZ + ES
GUBAHÁMORI + BIVAK + Gábor Csaba Soóki-Tóth / HU
Ian Ritchie Architects + Compass Architects + Marko & Placemakers / UK
ov architekti + GUTGUT / CZ + SK
Pelčák a partner architekti + Müller Reimann Architekten / CZ + DE
PETITDIDIERPRIOUX architectes / FR
Richard Meier & Partners Architects + CUBOID / USA + CZ
RKAW + BY Architects / CZ
SIEBERT+TALAŠ / SK
Sou Fujimoto Architects / JP
Central Group a.s.
CENTRAL GROUP is the biggest residential developer and new residential projects investor in the Czech Republic. In its almost 25 years long history the company has successfully completed 155 residential areas and sold more than 14 000 new flats, houses and plots of land.
+420 222 222 521
12 x 7 800 EUR
after submission of the proposal to phase 2
without registration fee
for the phase 1 was required electronic portfolio
for phase 2 is required full proposal
Submission deadline for phase 1 was
31 October, 5 pm CET
Submission deadline for phase 2 is
15 March, 2019, 5 pm CET
Participant submits complete proposal – 5 panels size B1, booklet and digital media in a hard copy at the adress of the organizer
MOBA studio s.r.o.
U Půjčovny 4, 110 00 Praha 1
- Regarding 2.2.10 and the areas designated as ZMK and SV: What is the exact extent of the scope of work beyond the property lines? Can the green areas along Zelivskeho and along the cemetery be completely redesign as fully new landscape and incorporated into the new development?
Still according to the conditions, it is possible to design only in the TI area. Areas ZMK and SV, which are also owned by the investor, can be treated in relation to the proposed development and taking into account the need of greenery, parks, parterre, common areas. Surrounding areas treat rather as a vision.
- Regarding access to basements and parking: are there any regulations or normative regarding the placement of curb cuts along Olsanska and Zelivskeho?
Determining the entry position of the object is entirely at the discretion of the competitors. As the vehicle entrance, it is optimal to use the existing turns.
- What are exactly the program area requirements for the kindergarten
75 Number of children
300 m2 Day room (with eating area and sleeping area)
19 m2 Cloakroom
45 m2 Hygienic facilites for children (per 1 classroom 5 child-size toilets, 5 sinks and 2 showers)
20 m2 Meal preparation (1 for the whole kindergarten)
6 m2 Hygienic facilities (teachers + maintenance)
20 m2 Director’s office (1 for the whole kindergarten)
15 m2 Economist’s office (1 for the whole kindergarten)
45 m2 Storage (toys, furniture, beds, working tools) 15 m2 per classroom
30 m2 Communications
15 m2 Technical room (1 for the whole kindergarten)
20 m2 Caretaker’s room (1 for the whole kindergarten)
535 m2 TOTAL – INDOOR SPACE
300 m2 TOTAL – GARDEN
The above-mentioned is the necessary areas for a 3-class kindergarten. However, we think that for this stage it is sufficient to count with the GFA – approx 600 m2 – and orientation of the Day room for children towards SE-S-SW with connection to their own garden, which seems to optimally be in the ZMK area; the 300 m2 is a minimal requirement.
- Are there any specific requirements for the kindergarten in terms of connection to the residential units? Does it need direct connection or can it be planned as a separate small and independent structure?
There is no requirement to link the kindergarten and the proposed building. On the contrary, it is more advantageous for the kindergarten to have an independent entrance. Considering the required intensity of the building we assume that the kindergarten will be integrated in the mass of the proposed building, but it can be designed separately.
- Are there any common amenities for the complex? Playroom, lounge, kids play area, gym, or any other function? If so, what would be the area allocated?
No such requirements are defined; the integration of common spaces beyond the assignment is at the consideration of the contestants.
- We assume there would be multiple ground floor entrances for residents and each entrance will have a designated mailroom area for mailboxes. Can you please specify the size and area requirements for these?
The entrance hall should be adequately designed for the number of apartments to which this entrance space is located. The standard hall in our projects is 15-20 m2 with the number of about 50-60 apartments per entrance.
- Retail/Commercial Parterre: what are the exact expectations for the commercial area? Is there a minimum area that the developer is targeting? Should it be accommodated at least along Olsanska and Zelivskeho?
There is no need to solve the specific size of individual commercial spaces at this stage. The minimum area is not determined with the optimal design of commercial spaces as universal with the possibility of different divisions. Separation and determination of possible tenants is carried out by the management of the company in the next stage of project documentation. We design and implement commercial spaces as shell & core. We consider the premises to be optimally located along the streets of Olšanská and Želivského. It is possible to design two-storey commercial premises in justified cases. The optimal construction height of the commercial space is 4.5 m for the ground floor and 3.0 m for the first floor.
- Are balconies to be inclusive of the total gross area?
No, balconies or loggia are not counted in the GFA.
- Is the net area calculated to the interior of the façade and to the centerline of demising walls?
The GFA boundary is the external perimeter of the vertical structures of the house.
The GFA does not count:
– balconies facing the facade (both glazed and open, continuous and individual)
– walking terraces (including terraces on terrain and receding floors)
– the whole underground floor used exclusively by the following facilities
– garage areas in underground floors (if they are a necessary complement to the main function based on the number of stalls indicated by the Decree)
– warehouses, laundries, etc. in underground floors used exclusively for the given object
- Can the ground floor / commercial parterre be higher than the 4.5 m specified in the brief?
The height of 4.5 m is ideal, but yes, it can be higher.
- What are the typical mechanical systems expected, and are there any special requirements regarding the artificially ventilated (heat recovery ventilation) inside units affected by high noise levels?
There are no special HVAC systems or others in the apartments themselves. On the contrary, the HVAC central units with recuperation are counted with. For lower buildings, engine rooms will be located in underground floors. For high-rise buildings, it is expected to be placed on the roof.
- The Brief states that the taller structures can only be built on the East, North, and Central parts. Please clarify, if possible with cad drawings where the approximate boundaries of these “East, North, and Central parts” are considered
darker orange – area suitable for high-rise
border between lighter and darker orange – is not specified precisely
- 13. Je možné navrhnout zástavbu tak, jak předpokládá Metropolitní plán, čili i na ploše ZMK podél ulice J. Želivského? Prakticky by to znamenalo buď rozšířit již podaný podnět na změnu využití plochy TI o změnu výše zmíněné části plochy ZMK. Alternativně je možné navrhnout etapizaci projektu tak, aby zástavba podél ul. J. Želivského proběhla jako poslední čili v době, kdy již bude platný Metropolitní plán.
No, the project can be designed according to the conditions, i.e. only in the TI area.
14. Paragraph 2.2.7 of the competition brief states that the sunlight requirement for each unit is not mandatory by the Prague regulations anymore, however it appears that there is minimum requirement to comply with comfort. Also, we understand that those units not receiving minimum direct sunlight will be consider Ateliers? While we are trying to minimize the number of Ateliers, could you please clarify to what extent a certain percentage of Ateliers could compromise the quality of the scheme? Also, could you quantify what would be absolute maximum number of Ateliers possibly allowed?
We must not overshadow the surrounding existing buildings. Our objects can shadow each other, the sunlight of newly proposed apartments will not be judged. Only daylighting will be judged inside our site, but it is premature at this stage. The units even without daylight will be studios (1+ and 2+).
15. Je technologie CETIN vystěhována z pozemku úplně = stavíme na zelené louce? Nebo je nějakým způsobem na pozemku zachována?
The Cetin technology facility will be built on the plot this year. We must respect it in the proposal (cannot build on it). See paragraph 2.2.11.
16. Je možné na finální prezentaci přinést fyzický model pro lepší představu navrhovaného řešení?
It is not possible to bring a physical model to the final presentation.
Documents from Phase 1:
Soon for download: Minutes from the jury meeting
The jury met on November 14 and December 5, 2018.
The objective of the competition is an architectural proposal of a residential area called NEW ŽIŽKOV CENTRE, and its surroundings. It is a private investment by CENTRAL GROUP and is not subject to public procurement mode. The site is 39 471 m². Buildings can only be designed on the space of 24 803 m2 defined in the land use plan as TI (information transfer device – technical infrastructure), for which the investor has filed an appeal to change its main use to SV (general combined use). The plot includes another SV area in immediate vicinity of existent development and a non-developable area of ZMK (urban and landscape greenery). These should be designed as public space and greenery.
The aim is to design new residential buildings of approximately 106 000 m2 of gross floor area (GFA) which roughly corresponds with the volume of existing development on the plot. The investor perceives utmost use of the GFA as optimal.
The district of Žižkov has been going through a major transformation in the last years. The originally working-class district has been turning into a larger city centre with good public facilities, accessibility, and infrastructure. The social background of the place has been changing and the area has become more popular with middle and upper-middle class segment of clientele.
The competition area is located around an important junction in Žižkov which will become its new centre. The site with its history suggests a metropolitan-like approach to its development given the fact that the existing building of CETIN used to be the tallest building in Czechoslovakia back in the days it was built.
At present the site holds extensive technological grounds of telecommunication structures and offices which are in use by their original owner. There is a technological building which has lost its function and with regard to the extreme level of asbestos in its construction it is to be demolished and replaced with new development arising from the outcome of this open call. The technology of Cetin will be relocated to an underground compound in the north-east part of the plot (see document PI.01).